Basic product management
You can find product management at Management > Products.
Add a new productAt the top of the product page you will find the New Product button. You can't add products if you haven't created categories first (see the previous section). If you don't wish to use categories, you can create a "General" category.
Fill out the product form as completely as possible: the description of your products will be indexed by search engines.
In order to keep the layout simple, certain parts of the form are folded. Start with the basic management of the products and click on the blue bars to expand the more advanced features.
Hint: Use the TAB button to move the cursor to the next form field.
- This is a unique name or number by which the product can be identified. This name is mentioned in the shopping cart, on invoices and in e-mails. It's advisable to provide a unique code for each product, so you know which products were ordered.
- For more information about categories, see the categories and subcategories section. A frequently asked question to our support is why the category drop down box for product management is empty, or why [no_name] is displayed in the website. The answer is: when you have a multilingual shop and there's no category name filled in for this language.
- The name of your product, in the language of your shop. This is what the customer sees in the shop. If this field is not completed, the Article description will be displayed.
Describe your product as detailed as possible. This text will be indexed by search engines, so make sure that the description is long enough and contains several keywords.
Never copy text from Microsoft Word directly into the description field. If you do this, internal HTML codes are copied and will cause problems with your website layout.
If you want to copy text from Word: you can copy this first into Notepad, and then to the description field.
- This can either be a number or a phrase, such as "Price is negotiable". A currency sign is added automatically. Don't include a currency symbol: simply enter a numeric value if you want the total amount to be calculated at the checkout.
OK: 4.99 or 1.50 or 250
Not OK: €4.99 or 25 dollar
Prices with decimal numbers are displayed in your shop with 2 decimals separated by a comma. Thousands are separated by a space.
A frequently asked question to our support is "why is the price of a product in my shopping cart not calculated correctly?". The answer is: the price is not numerically entered or you have added a currency symbol.
- Use this field if you want to keep track of product stock. If you don't want to do this: leave this field empty. If it's a unique product, please enter 1. The stock is automatically updated if an order is placed in your shop. For an infinite stock or for digital products, enter 0. If there's no stock left, change the status of the product to Sold Out.
|1||Unique product||Limited Stock|
|< 10||Less than 10||Limited Stock|
|>= 10||More than 10||Large stock|
|0||Infinite stock, dropshipping or digital product||Large stock|
|0 + Status "Sold Out"||Depleted stock||Sold out|
- Set the weight of the product in Kilograms. This is only necessary if you charge fees for sending your products.
- The product will be displayed in your shop and can be purchased.
- Delivery in X business days
- A delivery indication is shown on the product detail page. The product can be purchased.
- Available, but not in stock
- The indication "not in stock" is shown, but the product can be purchased.
- Available, but can not be purchased online
- The product is shown in your shop, but there is no possibility for purchasing. This is for promoting the product, customers need to go to your physical store to purchase the item.
- Request offer
- The product is displayed in your shop and can be purchased. However, there is a "Request offer" button instead of "Add to cart". Optionally, you can set the product price to 0.
- The status indication shows pre-order. The product can be purchased.
- Sold out
- This status is automatically set when the stock is exhausted. The product remains visible in your shop but can not be purchased.
- The product is still available in the backoffice, but it will not be displayed in your shop.
- Buy now via PayPal / Credit Card
- A customer can purchase the product directly, without having to follow the checkout procedure. Please note, with this option it's not possible to sell multiple products at once or to charge shipping costs.
- Only available for logged in customers
- The product does not appear in your shop, but is shown after a customer has logged in.
- Log in to view price
- The product is shown in your shop, but the price is not shown. Instead the message "Log in to view price" is shown. When a customer logs in, the price is shown to him/her.
- Customer has to choose a variation first
- The product can not be purchased. This status is intended for situations where you want a customer to choose a product variation first.
- Do not display product status
- The product can be purchased. No product status is shown.
- Upload photos that are big enough and have a good quality
- File formats: .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png
- Maximum file size: 5MB
- Select a category at the top of the list to display the products from this category
- Or enter an article or name in the search engine above the productlist to filter the list
- Product photos don't change
This is usually because the old photos are still in the cache of the web browser. A web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome...) saves web pages and images on your hard disk. This way, at your next visit, the page will load faster. When you visit the page, you will see the old version of the photo on your hard drive and not the live version on your website.
To solve this problem: navigate to the shop page and click Refresh page or Reload page.
You can also use the shortcut keys: F5 or CTRL R (Command R on Mac). The most recent version of the web page is now loaded.
Other possible reasons why you don't see changes:
- You're looking at a wrong website or webpage
- Products automatically change to the "Sold out" status
The software will automatically update the stock when an order is placed. If the stock reaches 0: the status will change automatically to "Sold out".
If you don't want this to happen: set the stock to "0". The software will now assume that there's an infinite stock and will never update the product status automatically.
Adding product photos
Click Upload new photo to add product photos. An unlimited number of photos can be added to the product.
Photos are automatically scaled proportionally for fast and optimal viewing on the web. This way everything is consistent and the photos are displayed correctly on smartphones and tablets.
Uploading large images may take some time. If you don't want to wait, you can always resize the photos before you upload them with software like pic resize or Fotosizer.
If the photos are larger than 5MB, the upload will fail.
Use the module High quality product photos if you want to set the dimensions of the product photos yourself.
Modifying a product
Navigate to Management > Products. If you have added products, you will find a list of your products.
You will find two icons to modify or delete your products.
Quickly adjusting the status, stock and price
You can also quickly modify the products in the productlist.
You can also sort the productlist by product code, name, date, price and stock. The first 15 products will be displayed. If there are more products, the links Previous page and Next page will appear.
The products that are found, will be displayed in a list. For each product, you can modify the status, stock and price. You can enter new information in the text fields. You don't need to click save, this is done automatically.
Removing a product
Removing a product will delete the product, all its variations and photos.
It's not possible to restore a deleted product.
Next page: Advanced product management >>>