Importing products and categories
Adding many products manually can be a time consuming task. A faster method is to import your products.
- Add or modify products on a large scale (1000 per import)
- Import categories
- Import product photos
- Import via a file, a web server or paste your own text
- Import or copy from another shop
- Supported file formats: CSV, ODS, XML (After converting also XLS and XLSX)
You can find this module at Settings > Modules > Import products.
If Import products is not displayed in the menu, first adjust the user level to Expert, at Settings > User experience level.
This is an expert module. It can take a while before you have mastered this part.
Office knowledge is required. Please don't use this module without the necessary knowledge.
Start with a small file, so a failed import can be undone easily.
Step 1: Provide a good source file
You need to have a file which contains the products you want to import. This can be a spreadsheet file, an export from your supplier or a POS export. You can import up to 1000 products at a time. If you want to import more products, you can split the file into several blocks.
- This is a comma-separated values file where each product is put on a separate line and the fields are separated by commas. (See an example)
Do not use semicolons.
- This is a spreadsheet file in the OpenDocument standard. (See an example)
The following office applications are suitable to work with OpenDocument Spreadsheet files:
- You can also use the XML standard for importing. Provide a root element below the product elements. (See an example)
- .xls, .xlsx
- Non standard formats can be converted. You can use LibreOffice or youconvertit.
Most problems arise because of an import file of poor quality. Always check the file before importing.
Step 2: Choose an import method
You can import in 3 ways:
- Upload a file
- Using a web address (URL)
- Plain text (Only CSV and XML)
Use the verification code DOIMPORT (uppercase) to confirm the upload.
Step 3: Check your import
You will now see a list of the imported data. These data are in a temporary database and have not been imported yet.
At the top you can select the column title.
Make sure the columns correspond to the data, otherwise all the data will be scrambled and you will have to remove all the products.
All data can still be modified at this stage. Click on the table cell you wish to change. The cell will be displayed as a pop-up so you don't need to modify everything in the tiny cell. Click anywhere outside the pop-up to save. If you have more than 15 products, you can use the navigation below to view the following pages.
Sometimes when you are converting files, extra rows (products) are added. Remove these products before you start importing.
If you don't want a column to be imported, select the column titel Delete.
Importing categories and photos
You can also import categories. If the category name you enter, doesn't exist, a new category will be created. If your shop is multilingual, fill out the translations of the new category afterwards.
You can import photos by pasting the URL of the photo. Placing a picture in a spreadsheet file is not possible: this would make the file too large for an upload. The photos must therefore be located at an internet address. The images are automatically retrieved, scaled proportionally (in combination with the High Quality Photos module) and a thumbnail is created. Provide an image < 1MB in the .jpg, .gif or .png format.
Editing products or variations
When you enter a product with an article name that already exists, the product will be updated with the new data. The names have to be identical, otherwise a new product will be added.
Make sure to set the column titles of the fields that don't have to be adjusted to "Delete". Otherwise all the current data of your product will be replaced by empty fields.
Step 4: Import
Check the data thoroughly.
If you are sure that everything is correct, click Import. It may take a while before the next page is loaded: please wait patiently and don't leave the page.
Possible product statusses
- Available but not online
- Sold Out
- Customers only
- Price visible for customers
- Choose property
- Hide status
- custom0, custom1, ..., custom9
Copying products from another shop
- Enter the e-mail and password of the source shop and the verification code DOIMPORT.
- You will now receive the category list of the source shop. Select the categories you want to import.
- Click Import.
You can import up to 1000 products at a time. If you want to copy more products, just select categories until you reach 1000 products. Then repeat this procedure for the remaining categories.
Products and product photos are copied automatically.
- You can also automate the import process, for example to automatically update stock through a POS system. Use the
EasyWebshop API for this.
- Product variations can't be imported. This can only be done manually, by copying them from another shop or by using the API. Once the product variations are added, they can be updated with the import module. Use the correct article name for this.
- I get a white screen after uploading my file
- The file is too large. Split the file into smaller files and upload the files separately.
- When an order is made, the price is zero
- The price column should always be numeric. Never fill in a currency sign.
- I want to add or update more than 1000 products at once
An upload of more than 1000 products via a web interface is not the appropriate method.
- You can split the file and import several times.
- You can perform an import or update automatically by using the API.
Next page: Shop configuration >>>