Payment methods and Payment Service Providers
With EasyWebshop you can offer all common payment methods or payment options.
The world of online payments is very complex. In this chapter we bring some clarity in the possibilities.
- Payment method
- This allows the customer to pay. For example: bank transfer, bank card, credit card.
- Payment Service Provider
- A Payment Service Provider (PSP) is a company that processes online payments for you. Most PSPs are collecting PSPs. This means that you create an account at the payment service provider and they receive the money for you. The PSP acts like a payment terminal in a restaurant, but is virtual instead of a physical device.
You can find this item at Settings > Payment methods.
If Payment method is not displayed in the menu, first adjust the user level to Advanced, at Settings > User experience level.
|Payment on invoice||This allows your customers to pay after they have received their order.|
|BanContact / MisterCash||This payment method is used in Belgium but is certainly not the most widely used local payment method. Belgian BanContact is much smaller than the Dutch iDEAL.|
|Bank transfer||Your customer pays by bank transfer or through his or her online banking account by entering their bank details. This does not require a payment service provider, you only need a bank account. There are of course no charges for this payment method.|
|Bitcoin||Your customers can pay with Bitcoins. Bitcoin is available worldwide.|
|Payment on collection||Your customer picks up the product himself and pays on location. There are no PSP charges for this payment method.
In this case, make sure there is a shipping method "Pick up".
|Payment on delivery||The customer pays the postman or courier when the order is delivered.
In this case, make sure there is a shipping method "Collect on delivery".
|Partial payment||This allows your customers to spread their payments after they have received their order.|
|Giropay||Giropay is an Internet payment System in Germany, based on online banking.|
|iDEAL||With this payment method, your customer can pay directly online through a Dutch bank. This is the recommended payment method if you sell to Dutch customers.|
|Maestro||European debit card which has about 250 million users.|
|MasterCard||MasterCard is available worldwide and is widely used for online payments.|
|PayPal||Your customer pays directly online through Paypal. To use this payment method, both you and your customers need a (free) PayPal account.|
|Sofortbanking||New payment method designed for online payments within Europe. Sofortbanking is especially popular in Germany.|
|Visa||Visa is available worldwide and is widely used for online payments.|
Payment Service Providers
EasyWebshop separates payment methods from payment service providers. This way, you can have a separate payment service provider for each payment method. In some situations this is more economical.
|Payment Service Provider||Payment methods||User friendly||Direct payment||Rates|
|Your bank||Bank transfer (customer wires the amount to your bank account)||1-5 business days||
|Bitcoin||The customer pays with a digital wallet or smartphone||Yes||
|Klarna||Payment on invoice, Partial payment||Yes||
|Mollie||Credit card, SOFORT Banking, iDEAL, Bancontact/Mister Cash, Bank transfer, PayPal, Bitcoin||Yes||
|MultiSafepay connect||iDEAL, Bank Transfer, Maestro, Visa*, MasterCard*, Mister Cash, Giropay, Sofort
* Acquiring bank
|PayPal||IDEAL, MasterCard, American Express, Visa and PayPal balance||Yes||
|TargetPay||Bancontact / MisterCash, iDEAL, Sofortbanking||Yes||
There are many more payment service providers, we implement only the ones that our customers ask for in our software. This way, everything remains clear to the users and easy to manage for us.
Feel free to send us a suggestion for the implementation of a new payment service provider. If there is a demand for it, we will definitely integrate them. You can also add a new payment service provider yourself with the EasyWebshop API.
Which payment service provider do I choose?
With all these providers it's sometimes unclear for new customers what to choose. Here are a few hints:
- Bank transfer / online banking
- Bank transfers are easy and free. The downside is that a transaction takes 2 to 5 days. Preferably send the products after payment is received.
- Credit cards (Visa / Mastercard), debit cards (Maestro / Bancontact) and iDEAL
- If you want to offer all payment methods in Belgium and the Netherlands, we recommend TargetPay. They process payments for you at an attractive rate. Your money is available immediately after the order is made.
- Payments on invoice and spreading payments
- You will generate more sales if you offer your customers the ability to pay afterwards. With Klarna your customers can easily and securely pay afterwards. Klarna assumes all risks and handles the administration. You will receive your money immediately. You can also use the payment method Partial payment, this means your customers can spread their payments.
How to set payment options in my shop?
You can make a connection to a payment service provider in a user friendly way at Settings > Payment methods. We recommend this method.
For most payment service providers an identification is obligated. After verification your payment service provider will allow you to accept payments.
- Install the app from the payment service provider at the App Webshop
- Enter any additional data needed to connect with the payment service provider
- Choose the payment methods you want to connect
- Test by placing a test order in your shop
Installing apps in EasyWebshop is easy and can be done by a non technical person. All instructions can be found in the App shop.
Setting up an account with the payment service provider may be less straightforward. We can not offer support here because this is not a part of our software. If you have questions, contact the helpdesk of the payment service provider.
Comparing payment providers
The world of online payments is complex and extensive. Which is why we've compiled a thorough comparison for our customers. Our comparison shows that new players generally offer better pricing. In addition, European providers are usually cheaper and support a wider range of payment methods.
EasyWebshop gives you the freedom of picking your preferred payment provider(s). Our system is integrated with the most important European payment providers. You can even choose a specific payment provider for each payment method. Which means that combinations such as Mollie, Blockchain and PayPal are possible. In addition, new payment providers can also be integrated using our app platform.
Setting payment costs for your customers
You can pass the costs of payment service providers to your customers.
- Bank Transfer: Free
- Bancontact / Mister Cash: € 0.25 + 1.75%
- iDEAL: € 0.44
- Visa / Mastercard: € 0.35 + 3.4%
Navigate to Settings > Payment methods > Advanced. For each payment method you can set a flat fee and a percentage.
Make sure your customers always have the option to choose a payment method for which they do not have to pay extra. Otherwise, customers will cancel their order during checkout.
Payment costs are compatible with all payment methods and payment service providers, the POS system, all currencies, invoicing and VAT. If your customer changes the payment method after the order (for example, the balance on the debit card is insufficient), the payment costs will be recalculated automatically.
Displaying payment logos on your shop
- Navigate to Settings > Payment methods
- Click the Advanced tab
- At the bottom of the form there is an option Show payment logos
Here you can select whether or not to display the logos of the payment methods in the sidebar of your layout or on your homepage.
Next page: Invoices and Terms & Conditions >>>